This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission for purchases made through links. Learn more on my Private Policy page.
The ketogenic diet has been gaining a lot of popularity in recent years, as it offers significant health benefits such as weight loss, improved metabolic health, and more stable blood sugar levels. However, with the surge in popularity also comes misinformation and the risk of doing it wrong. One such concern is following a “dirty” or non-clean version of the keto diet that includes processed and unhealthy foods. So, in this blog post, we will discuss how to do clean keto, and three different effective methods you can follow to achieve this goal.
Why is it important to do clean keto?
Before we dive into the different methods, let’s first discuss why it’s crucial to follow a clean keto diet. Eating clean keto means that you consume mainly whole, unprocessed, and nutrient-dense foods, while keeping your carb intake low enough to remain in ketosis.
The quality of your food matters in any diet, especially in the ketogenic one. Processed foods can contain hidden carbs and unhealthy ingredients that can harm your health. Eating high amounts of processed foods may cause inflammation and other adverse effects on the body.
It is essential to prioritize healthy oils, quality proteins, and vegetables in your keto meals. The benefits of eating clean keto are numerous, but some of the notable benefits include weight loss, improved digestive health, better blood sugar control, reduced risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease, and higher energy levels.
Method 1: Planning and Prep
The first method involves proper planning and meal prep. It’s said that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Therefore, taking the time to plan and prep your meals beforehand is an effective method of following a clean keto diet. Here’s how to go about the method:
1. Plan: Create a weekly meal plan that includes whole, real foods, and takes into consideration your daily macronutrient requirements for a keto diet.
2. Stock up on the essentials: Fill your fridge and pantry with healthy, keto-friendly foods such as grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, free-range chicken, low carb vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and healthy fats such as avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil.
3. Meal prep: Dedicate a day each week to meal prep your meals. Cook your protein sources, chop your vegetables, and portion out all of your meals to keep ready in your fridge for the week ahead.
Method 2: Stick to Whole Foods
The second method of following a clean keto diet involves sticking to whole, unprocessed foods. This method involves avoiding any processed or packaged foods and opting for whole, nutrient-dense foods. Here’s what to do:
1. Choose quality meats: Select grass-fed and pasture-raised meats like beef, pork, and poultry.
2. Select wild-caught fish: Fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids and low in carbs.
3. Go for green: Intake low carb vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and zucchini.
4. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and limit beverages such as soda and alcoholic drinks.
5. Avoid processed foods like processed meats, sugar substitutes, and other packaged, high-carb foods.
Method 3: Intermittent Fasting
The third method to follow clean keto involves intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting can help your body stay in ketosis for longer periods and allow for effective fat loss. Here’s how to follow this method:
1. Time-restricted eating: Eat within a specific time frame, such as eight hours per day for sixteen hours of fasting each day.
2. Alternate-day fasting: Eat normally for one day and restrict calories to 500-600 the next day.
3. 24-hour fasts: Fast for 24 hours once or twice a week.
Intermittent fasting can be safe and effective if done correctly, and it can help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Eating clean keto means focusing on whole, nutrient-dense foods while limiting processed and unhealthy foods. Proper planning and preparation, sticking to whole foods, and intermittent fasting can all help you achieve clean keto while reaping the benefits of this healthy diet.
If you are looking to make the transition to a ketogenic diet or have already started but are unsure if you’re doing it right, consider these three clean keto methods. Incorporating these methods in your life will not only help you to stay on track with your weight loss goals, but you may also notice improved overall health and well-being. Stay committed to clean keto, and you’ll soon see the results you want.