This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission for purchases made through links. Learn more on my Private Policy page.
How to do Keto for Picky Eaters?
The ketogenic diet, or simply keto, is a high fat, low carb diet that is designed to help your body burn fat for fuel by entering into a state of ketosis. This dietary approach has gained immense popularity due to its effectiveness in promoting weight loss and improving health outcomes in individuals with several health issues. However, for picky eaters, the idea of giving up certain foods or trying new foods can be daunting.
Here in this blog, I’m going to share three methods on how to do keto for picky eaters.
Method 1: Start Slow and Steady
If you’re a picky eater, starting the keto diet slowly and steadily might be a good idea. You can’t completely transform your diet in a day or two. So, make the transition into the keto diet slowly. Focus on cutting out foods that you don’t eat regularly, and try new keto-friendly foods in small quantities. Here are some tips for starting slow and steady:
1. Begin with easy-to-digest meals – Start with meals consisting of foods that you’re already familiar with. For example, start with a basic breakfast like scrambled eggs with cheese and some bacon. For lunch or dinner, try grilled chicken or steak with some low-carb vegetables like spinach, broccoli, or zucchini.
2. Introduce foods gradually – Add new foods to your diet slowly until you arrive at your desired macronutrient balance. Don’t force yourself to eat certain foods you don’t like, and try to find keto-friendly alternatives to your regular diet.
3. Find keto-friendly alternatives – Being a picky eater does not mean that you can’t enjoy keto-friendly meals. For instance, if you’re not a fan of vegetables, try incorporating them into delicious keto meals such as mashed cauliflower, stuffed mushrooms or as a side dish with your meat.
Method 2: Experiment with Different Recipes
The keto diet can be incredibly versatile if you are open to experimenting with different recipes. Although many traditional ingredients are not allowed on the keto diet, you can still enjoy a variety of flavors and cuisines to satisfy your taste buds. Here are some tips to help you explore different keto-friendly recipes:
1. Search for keto-friendly recipes – There are many resources online that provide keto-friendly recipes directories such as Pinterest, Instagram, or Google. These can help you find delicious and creative options for your meals.
2. Look for familiar foods – By using familiar foods as the base of your recipe, you’re more likely to enjoy what you’re eating. For example, you can use chicken as a protein source while making a delightful keto-friendly dish such as chicken Alfredo without the high-carb, high-calorie pasta.
3. Use spices and seasonings – Experimenting with different spices and seasonings can add flavors and variety to your meals. Try to incorporate spices and herbs like garlic, paprika, thyme, and even curry to your meals for an enhanced taste.
Method 3: Take Advantage of Keto Snacks
Snacks can make or break the keto diet. If you’re a picky eater, taking advantage of keto snacks can be an excellent way to supplement your meals and satisfy your cravings. Here are some tips for incorporating keto snacks into your diet:
1. Look for keto-friendly snacks – Many companies produce keto-friendly snacks that are delicious, affordable, and convenient. Look for snacks like cheese, nuts, seeds, beef jerky, and keto bars.
2. Prepare snacks in advance – Preparing snacks in advance can save you time and ensure that you always have something keto-friendly to snack on.
3. Experiment with new snacks – If you’re not a fan of the traditional keto snacks, try new ones. For example, you can prepare a batch of kale chips or homemade guacamole.
Keto can be intimidating for picky eaters, but it doesn’t have to be. With planning, patience, and a willingness to try new things, picky eaters can successfully embrace the keto diet. Whether you are slowly transitioning your diet, trying new recipes, or exploring new snack options, keto can be customized to fit your taste buds. With commitment and effort, picky eaters can enjoy the benefits of keto while still being able to cater to their individual preferences.